Monday, September 28, 2009

My Manifesto as a Journalism Student and Blogger

By Candace Gawler

Critical, creative, articulate and as the blog's title may suggest, UNOBJECTIVE- I aim to discuss the truth from my perspective. Completely bias, utterly truthful and untainted by convention, this blog allows for freedom of expression and a safe space where bloggers should feel free to say their say. I plan to say my say.

Todor Zhivkov said "A good journalist is not the one that writes what people say, but the one that writes what he is supposed to write." I completely disagree, we ought to challenge this convention and as future journalists,ensure journalism is a more intelligent and worthwhile practice than that. As George Bernard Shaw (a writer and journalist) said "We must always think about things, and we must think about things as they are, not as they are said to be."
Journalism may not be about objectivity after all, it could be a collection of subjective viewpoints. In other words- a construction and collection of 'unobjectivity' created to sound detached and thus 'objective'. I will willingly give my viewpoint. Being allowed the opportunity to view and challenge other people's opinions and standpoints allows fellow journalism students to develop critical thinking and an awareness of how others think.

I view journalism as a practice that allows for facts and the thoughts surrounding those 'facts' or hard news to be expressed. I personally find writing hard news a mundane business but it is the analysis, opinion and comment on news that I enjoy reading and writing. In a world where technology reigns and information is passed around so easily (and at an alarming rate) I think it is important that people take time to analyse and comment critically on the news. It is important that a little sanity is found amongst the madness of 21st century existence. As a student of journalism in a time where the media is shifting so drastically from the print format it has always known, it is a challenge to be able to grapple with the huge amount of information at our fingertips. It is difficult understanding our role as 'journalists' when, by the creation of this blog we are proving, anyone with access to a computer can be 'a journalist'.

George Bernard Shaw once wittily wrote "I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation." So as I always say, let’s all call a spade a shovel or whatever it is you feel like calling it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment