Angela Mac Donald
Tragic loss for family, friends, & fans of Boyzone’s Stephen Gately.
The late Stephen Gately, member of the five-man Irish band, Boyzone, died on Saturday 10 October 2009 while holidaying on the Spanish island of Majorca with his civil partner, Andrew Cowles.
Gately’s lifeless body was discovered by Bulgarian Georgi Dochev, 25, who had accompanied Cowles and Gately back to their apartment after their night out. http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Stephen-Gately-Post-Mortem-Bulgarian-Georgi-Dochev-Tells-Of-Shock-At-Boyzone-Stars-Death/Article/200910215404664?lpos=Showbiz_News_First_Media_Article_Teaser_Region__0&lid=ARTICLE_15404664_Stephen_Gately_Post-Mortem%3A_Bulgarian_Georgi_Dochev_Tells_Of_Shock_At_Boyzone_Stars_Death
A post-mortem revealed that the star died of natural causes, specifically pulmonary oedema, which is an accumulation of fluid on the lungs causing respiratory failure. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8304419.stm
Speculation that the star choked on his own vomit has been dismissed by officials saying that neither drugs nor alcohol were involved in his death. In order to confirm the post-mortem results, a sample of pulmonary fluid will be sent to a forensic laboratory in Barcelona.
X Factor judge Louis Walsh, who created the boy band, said: "We're all in shock. We still cannot believe it.” This feeling is shared by family and friends who are battling to come to terms with the 33-year-old’s sudden death.
Spokesman for Gately's family Ireland, Lawyer Gerald Kean, confirmed that the necessary papers have been signed in order to allow the release of Gately’s body. Although permission for the body to be flown home has been granted, it may take a few more days for it to reach Ireland.